Runes/crystals | The Legend of Mir

Runes/crystals

maxiburn

I am getting more and more frustrated with lack of runes/crystals.

I have thought of a potential radical solution.

How about removing all size crystals and runes from drops except the extra smalls and upping their drop rate to the same scale as gems, maybe even give them a countdown timer like gems but one that's increased slightly with every combination.

Am.i right in saying it takes 729 xs to make one of the new XL(E) crystals?

That's just so far out of reach.

I am getting more and more frustrated with lack of runes/crystals.

I have thought of a potential radical solution.

How about removing all size crystals and runes from drops except the extra smalls and upping their drop rate to the same scale as gems, maybe even give them a countdown timer like gems but one that's increased slightly with every combination.

Am.i right in saying it takes 729 xs to make one of the new XL(E) crystals?

That's just so far out of reach.
Luckily it's only 243 🤮

Unfortunately, there's no easy solution, the biggest issue is TIME. Someone who can play 7 days in a week and a lot of hours per day in said week will find probably 30 runes a day, if not more (especially when servers quiet in the day when people working). They aren't as rare as people make out if you spend a full day bossing, each and every day. Someone who can only play a couple of days for a couple of hours a week will only get a few. To the person who has the luxury of time, drops probably feel should be less. For the person who can't, drops feel should be more. The only way someone who has limited playing time to catch up is to spend money, it's impossible to keep up otherwise. This is a fact. This only further widens the gap to those who do have that luxury. I genuinely don't know how you go about fixing that. It's definitely a reason why a lot of people play events and moons only though. I'm quickly becoming an event only player myself, which I wish I wasn't, but the incentive to play outside events is so diminished on returns that I feel like if I played every day for an hour or two in the evenings at peak times from now till Easter, I could at best achieve what I could booking 1 or 2 days off work during event.

Last edited:
Fixing it? Remove xs from drops and/or up the drop rate of them across the board.

At the moment if you want runes/crystals the solution is to play only during events and fk off the rest of the year. Which is what many many people seem to do.

As I've said in another thread, there are several people who soak up all the runes and crystals and drive up the prices across the board.

Either drop rates need to come up or people need to boycott and just stop using the AH.

I personally will never buy another rune or crystal ever again unless it's from a guildie or someone I trust.

Fixing it? Remove xs from drops and/or up the drop rate of them across the board.

At the moment if you want runes/crystals the solution is to play only during events and fk off the rest of the year. Which is what many many people seem to do.

As I've said in another thread, there are several people who soak up all the runes and crystals and drive up the prices across the board.

Either drop rates need to come up or people need to boycott and just stop using the AH.

I personally will never buy another rune or crystal ever again unless it's from a guildie or someone I trust.
I totally agree but I can’t imagine Scorp making such changes even though absolutely necessary, the server is amazing I love it but I can totally see why new starters log in and see kits and think wow I’m never achieving that

I think the drop rate isn't terrible tbh, I will admit a lot of xs do drop, it does take a while to save them up and it does seem unachievable for many

I think the key issue here is one of people setting realistic goals for themselves. Everyone seems to have a mindset of 'best or nothing'. If you add a DC+8 instead of a DC+10 everyone will laugh and say you've ruined it. Oh no, you're down 2 DC, how will you ever survive /s

E runes are an option for the biggest spenders and 24/7 players. Casual players can't realistically expect to have exactly the same standard of kit as people who spend thousands and/or live in the game. But you can get remarkably close

Let's say you have boots you want to socket with DC, that's 4 socket spaces

To add all (E) will give you +60 DC and will require 972 XS runes
To add all (XL) will give you +40 DC and will require 324 XS runes
To add all (L) will give you +32 DC and will require 108 XS runes
To add all (M) will give you +24 DC and will require 36 XS runes

If you're a casual player, consider using M or L or even XL at a push on your kit. Think objectively at exactly how much DC you're going to miss out on. Look at it this way, if you have four L runes in store and could put them on boots but would rather wait and save up to use your XL, what you're really doing is paying around 600gg extra (or grinding to find an additional 216 xs runes, which could take months for a casual player) to gain a whopping 8 DC in total

If casual players accepted that and used smaller runes, I think we would see an uplift in general satisfaction

The only reason I'm spending stupidly on SC runes on tao is to try to be the highest SC on the server, a silly competition I've got into my head, and gritt seems to be the only competition at the moment. For normal purposes it's simply not worthwhile. I like that there's an extra tier available for people who want to spend wastefully and go a bit nuts. Even on my wiz and war I still use XL, I don't see any problem with it. On lower characters I have I've got no problem using L runes of stuff like celestial kit etc. Other people need to realise that and rune their kit to an appropriate level rather than expecting to be able to +15 everything without spending a fortune

Last edited:
Let's say you have boots you want to socket with DC, that's 4 socket spaces

To add all (E) will give you +60 DC and will require 972 XS runes
To add all (XL) will give you +40 DC and will require 324 XS runes
To add all (L) will give you +32 DC and will require 108 XS runes
To add all (M) will give you +24 DC and will require 36 XS runes

These numbers are crazy mate and you are spinning it like people are acting like spoilt brats from wanting to add some runes to their gear lol, you have without a doubt lost touch with reality on this topic.

Your one example is talking about adding hundreds of XS runes to a single item that holds 4 sockets. Our characters equip 10 items with 28 sockets! Without bezeled mythical added sockets…

These numbers are crazy mate and you are spinning it like people are acting like spoilt brats from wanting to add some runes to their gear lol, you have without a doubt lost touch with reality on this topic.

Your one example is talking about adding hundreds of XS runes to a single item that holds 4 sockets. Our characters equip 10 items with 28 sockets! Without bezeled mythical added sockets…
I think you've misunderstood what I was meaning. I'm not saying don't socket your items. I'm saying everyone just needs to temper their expectations a little

(E) tier was created to give 24/7 players and extreme Pay2Win players something else to aim for, a casual player expecting to be able to achieve the same is just being unrealistic

If putting 28 (E) sockets seems out of reach for you, use XL. If XL seems out of reach, use L. My examples were proving that there's a massive difference in investment for very little gain. So use the smaller sockets and you'll be 90% as good for 10% of the cost

XS runes/crystals drop every other boss kill for me pretty much and I'm a part timer, like I say it's not hard to conceive making an L within just 3/4 days full time playing time if you can afford the playing time, which isn't a lot if you think about it in the grand scheme that the game is accessible 24 hours a day 7 days a week- especially if you trade rune drops with similar people of a different class. It's just if you can afford the time to do it, which evidently most people can't and a handful of people can, which is where the issue arises. If you make drops easier these 24/7 boys will just camp bosses (like they already do, but worse) and make even more money and exploit more people. And yes, it's frustrating. Without limiting peoples playing time (which obviously isn't an option), boss camping etc (boss camping needs attention IMO, plenty of posts about it) nothing will change regardless of what you do to drops, Even if you randomised crystal dropping rune goblins etc the freaks on 24/7 would still find 99% of them and nothing changes. Zad48231 makes a good point just use L's not E's (not drugs related), you ain't ever gonna compete with the 24/7 nature of some people of this server, just have to accept that. Does it suck? Yes.

Daz, the best runes should not only be available to the biggest spenders you have lost touch, they were available to everyone for years with a bit of work, I believe GM has accidentally created this problem and I am suggesting ways to fix it, I have on my second chars used lower crystals in the past, but on my full time char with gg gear (lvl 180 neck and rings which I have had stored for months due to no fkin runes) I expect to add the best.

adding these drops to super/champ drop similar to gems drop rate will make this a possibility for everyone again, it will still be damn hard, 243 runes of one type will still take a month or more of a hard grind for the solo player to gather, remember its only a 1 in 10ish chance you get the rune your looking.

I did two weeks long days bosses only in october for ds, didnt even make a single large in that time.

not been funny but if u cant put in the time and effort then you don't deserve the top kit.... If you could do it casually you would have nothing to aim towards and get bored and moan, the people who play alot more would be long gone. server would die

I get the thing with casual players, you want to be able to compete and want the best stuff. Fair enough, but what's the solution? and more importantly what's the consequences and knock on effect to the rest of the server? That's what you don't consider!

The current system seems to work pretty dam good so long as you don't want to fully kit your kit in the most expensive runes.

Now something that might help, Allow the combining of other runes to allow more funky kit builds. Let us make more than 0.5's of things like reflect. no one is using ac 1%'s cos they suck, but what if you could make ac +2%

Not everyone is going to throw thousands of dollars at gg for a 20+year old game.

So in reality what's going to happen is, people will hit a gear wall and just quit.

It's painfully obvious this is an event server. You even have people interested in the game asking for more events because they want to play it but have zero reason to do so in between events because drops are horrible.

As I've said in many many threads, people need a reason to play, and grinding xp isn't it. Only sick fucks like me enjoy leveling, it's why I have multiple high level toons and working on third, but not everyone is like that.

Either way. It'll happen again during Easter. And more posts about runes and crystals will happen again until they get bored of posting and will be back next Christmas. Etc... etc..

I've only been here 16 months and figured this out.

So in reality what's going to happen is, people will hit a gear wall and just quit.
The solution to that is to make multiple tiers, so there's something for everyone and every budget

There's literally 6 different sizes of runes you can add to your kit, but everyone wants only the very top tier

If GM made the top tier easily affordable / collectable for any casual player, then at the same time he's deleting the reason to play for the most committed players

But Daz, that's not the way it is working (or not working).

In an effort to stop people getting bored, GM is controlling the supply too tight.

I keep hearing about 'the top players not getting bored' but little about the rest of the server.

Needing 1,000 xs runes just to fully rune one pair of boots is absolutely ridiculous unless they drop at a reasonable rate. They don't.

I think it all comes down to economics. Do the "most committed players" (also called "Whales" in other games where you can buy stuff with money) or the casual players contribute more resources to the server?
I am guessing its the whales, so it makes sense to make them "happy" instead of the casuals.

"Casual" and "committed" are words that get thrown around LOADS on this forum.. in reality people who play this game play it either a lot or not at all, there really isn't much of an in-between. The content everybody plays is what varies more than anything. Why not add rune drops to other paths of gameplay other than rdd/bdd/bossses/challenges?

I don't even see why runes are even made to be this super rare thing when they are stuck once added and can even devalue items depending on a persons preference. They are just an overrated feature that ultimately brings in purchases of GameGold. Yet our community on here attack one another just for wanting a small increase to drop rates that would benefit everybody; (apart from GG sales)

Keep them rare, keep their prices high but its ok coz at the end of it you can boast that you are more "committed" than the "casuals"

The solution to that is to make multiple tiers, so there's something for everyone and every budget

There's literally 6 different sizes of runes you can add to your kit, but everyone wants only the very top tier

If GM made the top tier easily affordable / collectable for any casual player, then at the same time he's deleting the reason to play for the most committed players
By those standard there should be tiers of drops.

Going four floors into bdp and getting xs runes and crystals is a time waster.

How about xs on first, small on second, medium on third and large on fourth...

Back