Random disconnects | The Legend of Mir

Random disconnects

zad48231

Leading Contributor
Got to EM KR and just started killing the first statue, rest of my group was a minute or two behind so I loaded up the forum on my other monitor to have a browse while I waited (killing statues takes ages for wiz, have I ever mentioned that? :p). Then I got "awww noo" on discord and realised I'd disconnected. It's 100% not my connection because I've got 3 other chars logged in right now on the same PC (you can probably see that in the logs) and none of those had any issues. What can cause such a disconnect and is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

in my mind its like a AFK checker, u go afk for a second , u dc, has happened for years, sometimes more often that not. touch wood-not happened to me in a while lol.

in my mind its like a AFK checker, u go afk for a second , u dc, has happened for years, sometimes more often that not. touch wood-not happened to me in a while lol.

I've had a similar thought, I was aware of this happening a lot in RDD and BDP, but never had it happen in PB before so it caught me by surprise. It was literally less than 10 seconds after casting frozen ground that I was disconnected, surely any afk checker should give you at least 2 or 3 minutes of leeway.

ive had it happen where ive literally just shuffled about on my chair and dc'd lol, as i said very on and off sometimes can afk for days without it happening other times only a few seconds

You noticed any pattern in where you are? I'm wondering if it's only certain maps. I've seen it happen a lot to me and others in RDD and BDP but never anywhere else until now, was in EM KR. Could be that these maps have a setting on the server that cuts you off really aggressively for whatever reason, if that's the case I see no reason that can't be toned down to only do it after a few minutes rather than a few seconds

Really interested in whether or not scorp/warda are aware of this

I dont really think its a built in mechanic. It has happened to me all over the place , ur right tho mainly EM KR , RDD, BDP main suspects. its weird lol

Personally, I've not had this happen yet anytime recent. To my knowledge, there are no afk timers. We are preparing things in the background however which can on occasion cause lag spikes which may be what are causing these random disconnections. We try not to be disruptive if we can avoid it, so apologies in advance!

Edit: disregard the last part, see Scorpian's reply below. That's a load off my conscience, ha!

There's nothing specific to each map.. Does it happen a lot then?

Not really looked into the nitty gritty of how connections are handled so cannot speak for that with accuracy. There's surely a keep alive communication and it is possible that this was lost. If you force quit mir and log onto another character, you might be able to still find yourself in game while the server is deciding if you are going to reply or not.

I am sure you can extend that time but you risk being stuck in game longer if you lag out and thus more chance of death.

As you say it is unlikely to be a connection issue (on either side) since you remained connected on other characters.

I recall historic complaints that switching to a web browser like that was causing players to get kicked (some cheat prevention affecting system timings) however nothing was ever confirmed. I am not even sure if it was resolved. In any case that incident prompted us with a warning (we like to keep tabs on who tries to cheat) and there's not been anything for you..

There's loads of reasons and possibilities. Maybe Windows had a blip and the other characters had confirmed the keepalive just in time whereas your main missed it. All speculative although your situation seems odd.

As for other times, disconnections could be as simple as a router, somewhere, anywhere, between you and the server deciding to drop packets for some quirky reason. It's not that the server has suddenly decided it doesn't like you :p

Personally, I've not had this happen yet anytime recent. To my knowledge, there are no afk timers. We are preparing things in the background however which can on occasion cause lag spikes which may be what are causing these random disconnections. We try not to be disruptive if we can avoid it, so apologies in advance!

The lag spikes are Windows being a brute force of doing whatever the fk it wants to. Anything we have control over is done during downtime which is why reboots can sometimes drag on

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I guess it'll just remain one of life's mysteries hah, does seem odd though that it feels map related. Until this incident in EM KR I'd only ever seen it happen in BDP and RDD and it's common enough that players know to hold a button down if they go afk in those caves or they risk disconnecting

several of my mates lag out if they go afk for 30secs in rdd, (to the point where they no longer join us there) however iv fell asleep several times in this cave and woke up a couple of hours later still active & often go afk for long periods with no issues I have no idea how the disconnect works but its defo a thing

Back