Mir and Windows | The Legend of Mir

Mir and Windows

mamoset

So, made the jump from Mac to a brand new Windows gaming laptop, specs;

i7 10875h processor
16gb RAM
RTX 2060

More than powerful enough to run majority of games. However, I struggle to get more than 45-50 FPS in full screen and Windows mode. I've applied Compatibility to Windows XP SP 2 and ran as Administrator. Anything else i can do to help run the game better? It also seems juttery and not smooth.

Thanks.

It's one of life's mysteries, mine isn't anything to be proud of but I seem to get decent performance

I'm on an i5-2400 with 8GB RAM and a Radeon HD6570

Standing right now getting 65 fps, just opened 3 other windows so I had 4 chars logged and visible on my screen at the same time and was still getting above 30 fps

I've seen people with worse hardware than me get better performance and people with crazy hardware get worse performance. I think the Mir client has a RNG on FPS lol, maybe @roll a few times and see if that helps

It's one of life's mysteries, mine isn't anything to be proud of but I seem to get decent performance

I'm on an i5-2400 with 8GB RAM and a Radeon HD6570

Standing right now getting 65 fps, just opened 3 other windows so I had 4 chars logged and visible on my screen at the same time and was still getting above 30 fps

I've seen people with worse hardware than me get better performance and people with crazy hardware get worse performance. I think the Mir client has a RNG on FPS lol, maybe @roll a few times and see if that helps

Yeah, very annoying when I can play COD Warzone @ 140fps with no issue yet cant run a 20yr old game smoothly lol

Firstly, anyone reading this post should double check the F12 menu and make sure "limit FPS" is not enabled. This will restrict FPS to 30 (good for power / noise consumption on laptops for example). This happens automatically for stalls.

Now, mamoset, does the turbo boost ever trigger on the CPU?

I am sure I am going to butcher some terminology here but I don't claim to know exactly what I am talking about however..

There's no graphics processing and we can only utilise 1 core. You can thank us for preserving the beauty of your graphics card.
The game basically runs in a loop and processes everything each loop (1 frame). I'ts not a pure loop, hence why CPU is (possibly) not always at 100% as there's some "smart" restrictions to say whether or not you need the next frame. (wiggle the mouse and FPS will go up)

If you want to max out FPS, you need 1 fast cpu core.

You should also consider RAM speed and disk drive speed. Place Mir on a fast SSD that is not used by any other programs - this will eliminate any lag spikes where the game is waiting to load new data into RAM. I would imagine this would express itself as long loading times when you teleport (lots of new images to load) - or even spikes when someone recalls a load of players to you. If those players have a variety of different weapons and armours on then the game must load them from the disk.

Edit: Also, the game is not smooth. It is flip-book art and some animations are only 6 frames. Player movement is 6 frames and a step takes 600ms. That's 10 frames per second. Go watch a Bitter Spore or Man Eater - they have 10 frames and look incredibly smooth in comparison.

Last edited:
Firstly, anyone reading this post should double check the F12 menu and make sure "limit FPS" is not enabled. This will restrict FPS to 30 (good for power / noise consumption on laptops for example). This happens automatically for stalls.

Now, mamoset, does the turbo boost ever trigger on the CPU?

I am sure I am going to butcher some terminology here but I don't claim to know exactly what I am talking about however..

There's no graphics processing and we can only utilise 1 core. You can thank us for preserving the beauty of your graphics card.
The game basically runs in a loop and processes everything each loop (1 frame). I'ts not a pure loop, hence why CPU is (possibly) not always at 100% as there's some "smart" restrictions to say whether or not you need the next frame. (wiggle the mouse and FPS will go up)

If you want to max out FPS, you need 1 fast cpu core.

You should also consider RAM speed and disk drive speed. Place Mir on a fast SSD that is not used by any other programs - this will eliminate any lag spikes where the game is waiting to load new data into RAM. I would imagine this would express itself as long loading times when you teleport (lots of new images to load) - or even spikes when someone recalls a load of players to you. If those players have a variety of different weapons and armours on then the game must load them from the disk.

Edit: Also, the game is not smooth. It is flip-book art and some animations are only 6 frames. Player movement is 6 frames and a step takes 600ms. That's 10 frames per second. Go watch a Bitter Spore or Man Eater - they have 10 frames and look incredibly smooth in comparison.

Appreciate the info, although a bit lost on me, I only know the basic stuff haha! The cpu, from what I can tell, never goes into turbo boost running mir. I have 16 cores apparantly and 16gb Ram. Mir is also saved onto a new 1TB M.2 SSD. I guess I'll just have to have a play about with my settings for Mir see what I can find works best.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read Warda's post regarding the Connect guide, couple of things there I can try, states Service pack 3 (I'm running 2, what difference that will make I dont know) will let you know and running the individual files as administrator and not just the patcher. Will let u know if I find something.

So, made the jump from Mac to a brand new Windows gaming laptop, specs;

i7 10875h processor
16gb RAM
RTX 2060

More than powerful enough to run majority of games. However, I struggle to get more than 45-50 FPS in full screen and Windows mode. I've applied Compatibility to Windows XP SP 2 and ran as Administrator. Anything else i can do to help run the game better? It also seems juttery and not smooth.

Thanks.

I have almost the same specs as urs and i get over 60 FPS

Appreciate the info, although a bit lost on me, I only know the basic stuff haha! The cpu, from what I can tell, never goes into turbo boost running mir. I have 16 cores apparantly and 16gb Ram. Mir is also saved onto a new 1TB M.2 SSD. I guess I'll just have to have a play about with my settings for Mir see what I can find works best.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read Warda's post regarding the Connect guide, couple of things there I can try, states Service pack 3 (I'm running 2, what difference that will make I dont know) will let you know and running the individual files as administrator and not just the patcher. Will let u know if I find something.

This may seem a little odd but are you running the system in performance mode? Windows will default to balanced mode on both laptops and PC's unless you specifically change it, when it's in balanced mode it will restrict boost clocks and stop your processor from going into turbo. THe processor in your laptop has a base clock of 2.3ghz but can boost to around 5ghz, with Mir only using the cpu that could be a lot of frames left on the table if your system is only running at it's base clock speed.

This may seem a little odd but are you running the system in performance mode? Windows will default to balanced mode on both laptops and PC's unless you specifically change it, when it's in balanced mode it will restrict boost clocks and stop your processor from going into turbo. THe processor in your laptop has a base clock of 2.3ghz but can boost to around 5ghz, with Mir only using the cpu that could be a lot of frames left on the table if your system is only running at it's base clock speed.

Yeah laptop is on performance mode

Back