Events anti social? | The Legend of Mir

Events anti social?

Aro

I have two points here.

1. When I first played River of Flames many years ago the top level map was open to all, it was great for guilds to hunt together, any chance this can come back? I have spent the past couple of days by myself as my guild are all in different level brackets which is kind of depressing, possible solutions, have two top level maps one closed to high level only and one open to all or have event map as a daily GC while event is active.
  2. So I'm playing alone which is bad enough but I cannot chat with my guild, the constant GBP spam is very off putting for conversation, any chance GBP notifications can be turned off but keep guildchat on?

To your second point, I know it's not an ideal solution and is really just a workaround, but I've taken to joining a group of people I want to chat with (mostly people who are in my guild anyway) even if we are not hunting together. So I can turn guild chat off completely and we can converse on group chat

Glad to see threads like this I just made a post in another persons thread about some of the issues I've been facing, I have friends at higher levels and they cant help me in the event due to the level locks. They said they would of been more than happy to take me hunting into event if it wasn't for the restrictions.

I totally agree, I have managed to get a group of friends on here and unfortunately I cannot hunt with them or even help them throughout the event ultimately leading to them stopping playing after day 1 especially given the lack of mobs in the F2P cave.

As for the comments from Zade please take it with a pinch of salt it’s almost asif Scorpian pays him to disagree with any bit of constructive feedback given, so Scorpian doesn’t have to make any changes.
Firstly, every single comment I make you seem to have something negative to say about it. Is there some personal issue that you have with me that I'm unaware of?

Secondly, I didn't disagree with anything that was posted. I agreed and offered a non-ideal workaround, which was very clearly stated

Now about your actual comment, which of the F2P caves have you found a lack of mobs in? I've been in the lowest level ones all day today and there's been loads of mobs, plenty people running around levelling and there's never been any danger of running out.

If you're meaning the higher level caves are short on mobs now, what do you think would happen if all levels were able to access them? I'd love to hear your suggestions in detail beyond "hey scorp, I don't like XYZ so make it better"

Firstly, every single comment I make you seem to have something negative to say about it. Is there some personal issue that you have with me that I'm unaware of?

Secondly, I didn't disagree with anything that was posted. I agreed and offered a non-ideal workaround, which was very clearly stated

Now about your actual comment, which of the F2P caves have you found a lack of mobs in? I've been in the lowest level ones all day today and there's been loads of mobs, plenty people running around levelling and there's never been any danger of running out.

If you're meaning the higher level caves are short on mobs now, what do you think would happen if all levels were able to access them? I'd love to hear your suggestions in detail beyond "hey scorp, I don't like XYZ so make it better"
Actually no I don’t dislike you on a personal level I like you I think your cool - it’s more the counter argument on every post on with regards to lower level / nooby content

I didn't read it as him disagreeing, looked more like acknowledgement that there's an issue and here's what I do to get around it solution.

Thanks, we need this type of discussion as otherwise we can't completely gauge the situation

As you rightly point out with these types of events the maps used to be open to all lower levels and that was my personal preference - it was that way for 8 or so years! What changed? Players wanted the restrictions putting in place and so far that seemed to have more satisfying outcomes. I completely agree it sucks for lower levels who want to be with friends but it was making a lot of higher level players feel like they had much less territory to enjoy and that the event wasn't for them

Trust me when I say we take all experiences and opinions extremely seriously. We wouldn't be here otherwise. At the end of the day those are your facts and we cannot tell you otherwise. The challenge arises balancing all that with other player's experiences and finding the best solution which also encompasses what we want to achieve

The GBP notifications should probably be a hint in the top left. I will review that.

Thanks, we need this type of discussion as otherwise we can't completely gauge the situation

As you rightly point out with these types of events the maps used to be open to all lower levels and that was my personal preference - it was that way for 8 or so years! What changed? Players wanted the restrictions putting in place and so far that seemed to have more satisfying outcomes. I completely agree it sucks for lower levels who want to be with friends but it was making a lot of higher level players feel like they had much less territory to enjoy and that the event wasn't for them

Trust me when I say we take all experiences and opinions extremely seriously. We wouldn't be here otherwise. At the end of the day those are your facts and we cannot tell you otherwise. The challenge arises balancing all that with other player's experiences and finding the best solution which also encompasses what we want to achieve

The GBP notifications should probably be a hint in the top left. I will review that.
Would really like to see this changed back to how it was. My friend is in the 180-195 zone and I'm in 160-180 and it really sucks we cant play together. Everyone I have spoken to is of the same mind so I'm a bit confused why some players didn't want this and who those players are :( I just cant imagine a good enough argument against the opening of the level restrictions.

I have yet to see anybody say they want the restrictions in place but I would imagine it was some of the longer term players that have requested it but unfortunately its really anti new player friendly and a healthy source of new players is essential to an old reliable server like this. Without exaggeration I came to this event with 4 other people all starting new and they have all given up already which is a real shame as I would of liked to boost them just as my friend would like to group with me and boost me a bit.

Would really like to see this changed back to how it was. My friend is in the 180-195 zone and I'm in 160-180 and it really sucks we cant play together. Everyone I have spoken to is of the same mind so I'm a bit confused why some players didn't want this and who those players are :( I just cant imagine a good enough argument against the opening of the level restrictions.

I have yet to see anybody say they want the restrictions in place but I would imagine it was some of the longer term players that have requested it but unfortunately its really anti new player friendly and a healthy source of new players is essential to an old reliable server like this. Without exaggeration I came to this event with 4 other people all starting new and they have all given up already which is a real shame as I would of liked to boost them just as my friend would like to group with me and boost me a bit.
the highest levels want a restricted map so they don't have to compete as much for mobs, i get that and I agree, which is why I suggested 1 restricted high lvl map and a second high lvl map open for all.

Thanks for the response Scorp GBP notifications filtering into exp list would be a fantastic fix.

the highest levels want a restricted map so they don't have to compete as much for mobs, i get that and I agree, which is why I suggested 1 restricted high lvl map and a second high lvl map open for all.

Thanks for the response Scorp GBP notifications filtering into exp list would be a fantastic fix.
I like this idea then it satisfies both parties. @Scorpian would this be something you can put in place for this final week of the event? I may be able to at least convince a couple of my friends to return then.

What level did they reach and how much time did they try it for? The event has only been on for a couple of days, if they're giving up already it doesn't bode well for when they have to actually grind at higher levels

Levelling for new players is easier than it's ever been, we're about 2 steps away from having a "make me level 150" button

What level did they reach and how much time did they try it for? The event has only been on for a couple of days, if they're giving up already it doesn't bode well for when they have to actually grind at higher levels

Levelling for new players is easier than it's ever been, we're about 2 steps away from having a "make me level 150" button
It’s not easy at all, it’s only because you have years of knowledge on the server. A new player with 0 help from other players in terms of money or knowledge has a really hard time levelling up. Here’s why:

1. They don’t know about the farmer quests in bw.

2. They can’t afford the farmer quests in bw in terms of the meta money problems and more money problems.

3. Even if they do use those quests to get to 91 they don’t have the money to buy items or skills for that level.

I don’t mean any offence but old players like yourself just saying it’s easy everytime a new person try’s to improve the new player experience is holding back the server quite a lot. Nobody knows the new player experience better than a new player running into the new player issues. It’s hard for players like yourself to comprehend when you have so much knowledge of the server meta.

The option to hide the GBP would be a fantastic addition. However, would it be possible to prehaps still allow boss GBP notifications to be displayed?

I have two points here.

1. When I first played River of Flames many years ago the top level map was open to all, it was great for guilds to hunt together, any chance this can come back? I have spent the past couple of days by myself as my guild are all in different level brackets which is kind of depressing, possible solutions, have two top level maps one closed to high level only and one open to all or have event map as a daily GC while event is active.
  2. So I'm playing alone which is bad enough but I cannot chat with my guild, the constant GBP spam is very off putting for conversation, any chance GBP notifications can be turned off but keep guildchat on?
I think the restrictions are great in this kind of thing. So many items drop and I've kitted out my characters for their respective levels. If I was able to go into the 160-180 zone, I'd never have to try to kit my chars up as I'd be able to collect it all really easily, which would affect how auction house and in game currency would work long term. Those restrictions are definitely needed to keep things fair. The game doesn't really start getting challenging until 160+ so until you're in that bracket, you shouldn't have access to the drops for those levels in such a high capacity like this event.

It’s not easy at all, it’s only because you have years of knowledge on the server. A new player with 0 help from other players in terms of money or knowledge has a really hard time levelling up. Here’s why:

2. They can’t afford the farmer quests in bw in terms of the meta money problems and more money problems.

3. Even if they do use those quests to get to 91 they don’t have the money to buy items or skills for that level.

I don’t mean any offence but old players like yourself just saying it’s easy everytime a new person try’s to improve the new player experience is holding back the server quite a lot. Nobody knows the new player experience better than a new player running into the new player issues. It’s hard for players like yourself to comprehend when you have so much knowledge of the server meta.
Point number 1. - If you do the quests from Emily who has a quest marker when you first log in, she leads you to a stage where she tells you that the farmer in BW has quests for you. That aside, if you run past him you see the big yellow quest marker above his head. That's how all quests work in MMORPG's.

I leveled from 1-120 on all 3 chars before I made friends in game and had no trouble making money and finding gear/skills for those levels. Games are meant to be challenging, if they aren't, they're boring. Beyond lvl 120/130, you should have found a guild or made friends to play with, as that's the point of multiplayer online games. People are so helpful, especially if they run a guild.

Just yesterday I had this same debate at length with joesav

I apologise to you and to everyone for the this post as its probably going to come across as a bit of a rant, as I'm sick of being told that new players can't do this or that and that I'm unaware of what it's like for them

I've put a crazy amount of effort into confirming what I say, I don't just guess. I've got more than 10 characters that I've levelled from scratch to between 130-150 of various classes, using absolutely zero outside assistance (no gg, or passing items or gold or books from my established characters), and I've found absolutely no blockers, everything has been possible to do by myself with a bit of effort. The only 'advantage' I have is prior knowledge of the game. And that's why I try as hard as I can to make that knowledge available to everyone. Most of the stuff that I 'know' that would be useful to a new player can be found either on the forum or on my site, and anything that isn't included can either be easily worked out by reading and following what the game tells you, there are loads of guides and clues ingame, or simply by asking around. If people just want to jump into the game and ignore all the help that's on offer then complain about not being able to do things, well that's quite simply a 'them' problem

This is an MMORPG, it's an adventure game, read things that are on your screen. All of the things you claimed to be a problem are only actually a problem for people who want to progress as fast as an experienced player would without reading or learning anything along the way

GM has already made the early game massively easier than it used to be

If you're a genuinely new player and want to be successful, read stuff! All the solutions to the problems you've listed are very well documented and information and knowledge of how to solve the issues is very easy to find if your eyes are open

The people who see these things as problems are probably better off playing something more suited to their commitment level, maybe give rocket league a go

If you're a new player and want to commit to playing an MMORPG you have to accept there will be a learning curve, so put the effort in and learn it.

The quests are all clearly marked on the minimap. Only someone who's never played a game before wouldn't know that. You take a half second glance at the minimap and see a big yellow exclamation mark and think "oh, that's a quest, quests are usually good, I'll go there and see what's what and ask around if I don't understand" that's absolutely not a stretch, you'd do that in any game, there's no prior knowledge needed to think to do that

No money is needed, if you're just buying your way through the quests then of course you're going to need real money, then it's very easy. If you want to actually DO the quests, then obviously it will take time. They can all be done solo by a player with no experience in the game, the whole point of them is to show you around and introduce you to all the low level caves, and to guide you towards learning how to hunt effectively and make profit while you do so. There's an extremely detailed walk through guide that's very easy to find if you look for it. Yes these quests as a whole are pretty outdated, but if anything that just makes them even easier.

There are a couple of skills that are a bit more rare, but you can hunt for them yourself. GM even added a list ingame of where to get every book, in notice boards around several towns, and in a quick access menu that you can see any time. The shortcut keys are all listed on the help screen. I followed that guide and was able to get all books for those levels by hunting for them myself on low level characters in shop kit. As for kit, items up to 88 are in shops to buy for next to nothing. And after that, up to around 140 you can find all the kit you need as you go along, no need to buy anything. Again, I've tried this myself by simply levelling chars in shop kit in the maps that the quick hunt menu suggested to me

To summarise, players who read things and actually treat this adventure game like an adventure game will have zero major blocking issues progessing, and yes there will be some minor issues, but overcoming those is part of the game

If you're not interested in an adventure and learning and grinding then I'd question if you've picked the right game. It's unfair to expect it all to be changed to suit you, plenty people have obviously already managed

I think the restrictions are great in this kind of thing. So many items drop and I've kitted out my characters for their respective levels. If I was able to go into the 160-180 zone, I'd never have to try to kit my chars up as I'd be able to collect it all really easily, which would affect how auction house and in game currency would work long term. Those restrictions are definitely needed to keep things fair. The game doesn't really start getting challenging until 160+ so until you're in that bracket, you shouldn't have access to the drops for those levels in such a high capacity like this event.
This is exactly the right mindset. When the top caves were open to everyone, all the lower caves were completely empty and every character in the game all crammed into the top cave, every floor had 10+ players on it and nobody could get any mobs. Players begged for it to be changed

My favourite solution was the one that we only saw once (or twice?) which was overlapping maps. I think that's the right way to go that would solve all these complaints

Something like this
0-120
0-140
0-160
150-170
160-180
170-190
180-200
195+

With that system, the 195+ have somewhere to go without the noobs everywhere, but the 180s can also hunt with their higher level friends, and still have the option to hunt in a slightly lower cave (170-190) if they want some peace, as I imagine the 180-200 cave would be a hotbed for pk

Just yesterday I had this same debate at length with joesav

I apologise to you and to everyone for the this post as its probably going to come across as a bit of a rant, as I'm sick of being told that new players can't do this or that and that I'm unaware of what it's like for them

I've put a crazy amount of effort into confirming what I say, I don't just guess. I've got more than 10 characters that I've levelled from scratch to between 130-150 of various classes, using absolutely zero outside assistance (no gg, or passing items or gold or books from my established characters), and I've found absolutely no blockers, everything has been possible to do by myself with a bit of effort. The only 'advantage' I have is prior knowledge of the game. And that's why I try as hard as I can to make that knowledge available to everyone. Most of the stuff that I 'know' that would be useful to a new player can be found either on the forum or on my site, and anything that isn't included can either be easily worked out by reading and following what the game tells you, there are loads of guides and clues ingame, or simply by asking around. If people just want to jump into the game and ignore all the help that's on offer then complain about not being able to do things, well that's quite simply a 'them' problem

This is an MMORPG, it's an adventure game, read things that are on your screen. All of the things you claimed to be a problem are only actually a problem for people who want to progress as fast as an experienced player would without reading or learning anything along the way

GM has already made the early game massively easier than it used to be

If you're a genuinely new player and want to be successful, read stuff! All the solutions to the problems you've listed are very well documented and information and knowledge of how to solve the issues is very easy to find if your eyes are open

The people who see these things as problems are probably better off playing something more suited to their commitment level, maybe give rocket league a go

If you're a new player and want to commit to playing an MMORPG you have to accept there will be a learning curve, so put the effort in and learn it.

The quests are all clearly marked on the minimap. Only someone who's never played a game before wouldn't know that. You take a half second glance at the minimap and see a big yellow exclamation mark and think "oh, that's a quest, quests are usually good, I'll go there and see what's what and ask around if I don't understand" that's absolutely not a stretch, you'd do that in any game, there's no prior knowledge needed to think to do that

No money is needed, if you're just buying your way through the quests then of course you're going to need real money, then it's very easy. If you want to actually DO the quests, then obviously it will take time. They can all be done solo by a player with no experience in the game, the whole point of them is to show you around and introduce you to all the low level caves, and to guide you towards learning how to hunt effectively and make profit while you do so. There's an extremely detailed walk through guide that's very easy to find if you look for it. Yes these quests as a whole are pretty outdated, but if anything that just makes them even easier.

There are a couple of skills that are a bit more rare, but you can hunt for them yourself. GM even added a list ingame of where to get every book, in notice boards around several towns, and in a quick access menu that you can see any time. The shortcut keys are all listed on the help screen. I followed that guide and was able to get all books for those levels by hunting for them myself on low level characters in shop kit. As for kit, items up to 88 are in shops to buy for next to nothing. And after that, up to around 140 you can find all the kit you need as you go along, no need to buy anything. Again, I've tried this myself by simply levelling chars in shop kit in the maps that the quick hunt menu suggested to me

To summarise, players who read things and actually treat this adventure game like an adventure game will have zero major blocking issues progessing, and yes there will be some minor issues, but overcoming those is part of the game

If you're not interested in an adventure and learning and grinding then I'd question if you've picked the right game. It's unfair to expect it all to be changed to suit you, plenty people have obviously already managed
I think the fact that the new player retention rate is at such a high % proves most of my points. You are the minority in your mindset which is why Arcadia for the most part as such a low usercount when the events arent on. It is a great server with a lot of potential but people quit before they get a chance to see most of the good features of the server. I play 95% of the servers that come out for Legend of Mir from lomcn and other sources and speak to the players on those servers and their opinions on Arcadia always list the same issues.

Even if you follow these questlines you are talking about they are long, tedious outdated and quite frankly boring. Neither yourself or the other fellow mentioned how you make the gold to get all of the ridiculously overpriced skill books on the market these days without knowledge of the game. To get most of your basic skills needed to play the game on some classes can need upwards of 5-10m gold.

I think the issue is the new player experience doesn't affect you at all so trying to gatekeep improvements to the process is just affecting other people. If I commented on the late game as a new player talking about things I don't fully understand I'm sure you would have something to say and it's the same thing here. Even if you start a new character now you are now a new player you are still the same person with experience of the server.

I have had people pm me ingame agreeing with me and one of them mentioned recently there was an event for new players that included a new map that helped people get from 1-150 and get all of their skills which was well received. If this is true then I would question why this event wasn't just made into a permentant new player experience as it sounds like an amazing idea.

I think its probably better if I just pm feedback directly to the GM in future to avoid his decisions being swayed by the old elite minority. I can imagine you have annoyed a few people on here with your relentless feedback as they pm me ingame about how they no longer want to post their opinions on the forum due to how you just have an opinion on everything even when it doesn't affect you. I have to agree with them which is why ill either not post at all or just pm the GM directly from now on.

I think the fact that the new player retention rate is at such a high % proves most of my points. You are the minority in your mindset which is why Arcadia for the most part as such a low usercount when the events arent on. It is a great server with a lot of potential but people quit before they get a chance to see most of the good features of the server. I play 95% of the servers that come out for Legend of Mir from lomcn and other sources and speak to the players on those servers and their opinions on Arcadia always list the same issues.

Even if you follow these questlines you are talking about they are long, tedious outdated and quite frankly boring. Neither yourself or the other fellow mentioned how you make the gold to get all of the ridiculously overpriced skill books on the market these days without knowledge of the game. To get most of your basic skills needed to play the game on some classes can need upwards of 5-10m gold.

I think the issue is the new player experience doesn't affect you at all so trying to gatekeep improvements to the process is just affecting other people. If I commented on the late game as a new player talking about things I don't fully understand I'm sure you would have something to say and it's the same thing here. Even if you start a new character now you are now a new player you are still the same person with experience of the server.

I have had people pm me ingame agreeing with me and one of them mentioned recently there was an event for new players that included a new map that helped people get from 1-150 and get all of their skills which was well received. If this is true then I would question why this event wasn't just made into a permentant new player experience as it sounds like an amazing idea.
1. You either haven't read my post or haven't paid attention to what I've said. You're making the same complaints that I've literally just explained in the post that you quoted. If you're not going to read the answer, don't bother asking the question

2. If you think I'm gatekeeping anything, then you don't know me at all. Don't pretend that you do.

All those other servers you love so much, where are they now? Most of them are amazing for 3 months then players who invested in them play for another 3 months after that then they die off, and everyone moves onto the next one. If you want a server that's going to last forever, you have to do things differently.

You honesty sound like you just want to create an account and have a level 190 character available with all the kit atd go off pvping. This isn't the server for you. This is an amazing place for long term players who want to invest time and effort to understand mechanisms and progress. You've made it abundantly clear you're not interested in doing that.

Honestly, just go play fortnite or something

Back